Wednesday 21 September 2011

When do i change the feeding size of mice for my cornsnake?

i feed my baby, pinkies and i was just wondering how do you tell when your able to upgrade in size?
When do i change the feeding size of mice for my cornsnake?
Well, we are just about ready to go up to fuzzies at my house. My baby corn is up to three pinkies at a feed. (about every 10 days) And I think her head is big enough now that she'd be able to eat a small fuzzy. They vary in size just like the pinkies do, and the pet store I go to packages their own when you purchase, so I'm going to ask for small fuzzies next time around.

3 pinkies makes a small bulge on my snakes belly, and she digests them pretty quickly. SO I think it's about time to change to fuzzies. I'm going to buy both in case I'm wrong.

If you do go up a size and the snake regurges, make sure you DO NOT FEED IT again for at least 10 days. It's digestive tract would need time to heal before it could feed again.
When do i change the feeding size of mice for my cornsnake?
It wouldn't hurt to buy a frozen fuzzy and compare it to the girth of your snake (the widest point). If it's right around the same size around, then it's time to upgrade. You always want to feed them just enough so you see a minor bulge at the widest part of the snake. Not too big, though, or they'll regurgitate it or refuse it. If the fuzzy is too big, just put it in a ziploc bag, remove all the air (prevents freezer burn), and stick it in the freezer til you need it (they last for at least a year in the freezer).



All snakes are different, but I started feeding mine fuzzies once they reached about 20 inches long, to give you a rough idea of what age.



If your snake is too big for pinkies, but too small for fuzzies, feed them pinkies more often. If before you gave them 1 a week, give them 2 a week instead. That'll last them until they get to fuzzies.



Hope this helps!
the way you should upgrade is bring it when you get food for it and if you don't feel comfortable bring it at a different time and ask what size he should eat like ounce a month